As some of you may know I recently got back from an absolutely fabulous trip from New York. Filled with amazing food and pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to find gluten free food. Although that may be thanks to my gorgeous boyfriend who had done some great research beforehand! On the last day I tried my very first waffle and although I don't have a conventional one to compare it to, it was light, crispy and not at all sweet. I am definitely a savory girl when it comes to starting the day and tend to sway in the way of eggs various. However, waking up this morning I had a hankering of something more indulgent. These beauties don't have any kind of sweeter in the batter so it allows the fruit to do the talking.
Makes enough for 2 people:
130g all purpose gluten free flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
150ml almond milk
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1. Simply combine all the above ingredients and whisk into a thick batter.
2. Let the batter sit for a few minutes, as the flaxseed tends to be super absorbent and therefore can thicken further without you realizing.
3. Heat some coconut oil in a non stick frying pan and dollop roughly 2 tablespoons of batter to create each pancake.
4. Watch the pancake start to flitter in the oil and bubbles start to form on the top of the uncooked batter. Once the bubbles reach the middle it is ready to turn the pancake over.
5. Repeat until all the batter has been used.
6. Serve with the toppings of your choice and enjoy!