Having drunk something similar in a café in Auckland one day I was determined to recreate this at home. It’s wonderful to have with either some sparkling water or for some Sunday brunch yumminess this particular soda goes incredibly well topped up with Prosecco and a fresh thyme sprig placed in the top! Great cocktail for picnics too as it looks impressive and obviously there’s no Tom Cruise style shaking to be done!
· 450 g fresh or frozen strawberries
· 700ml water
· 225 g coconut sugar – again use normal if worried about the colour.
· Juice of ½ lemon
· 12 sprigs of fresh thyme
· sparkling water to serve
1. Add all the ingredients save the sparkling water to a saucepan. Bring to the boil, lower to a simmer and leave to cook for 20 minutes.
2. Pour to the mixture into a metal sieve, using the back of a wooden spoon to “push” the strawberries through.
3. Pour the strained mixture back into a saucepan and bring back to the boil, once again lowering to a simmer to reduce for approximately 30 minutes.
4. Leave the mixture to cool before placing in the fridge to chill before serving over ice and topping up with sparkling water and adding a sprig of thyme as a garnish.