During some of my time in Kenya I was lucky enough to live on the magical and truly stunning Island of Lamu. An ancient Swahili settlement whose streets are only wide enough for donkeys and the car that exists belongs to the district commissioner and his 800m commute to work. It was here I was lucky enough to sail a traditional dhow north of the archipelago to an even more remote, wild and beautiful island called Kiwayu. It was on this trip we were barbequing prawns skewers with chilies and ate them with mango – the combination has always stayed with me and whenever I eat chili prawns with mango it makes me think back to that trip and smile!
· 200g raw organic prawns
· 2 cloves of garlic
· fresh chili
· squeeze of lime
· ½ ripe mango
· big handful of coriander/cilantro
· baby spinach
· ½ avocado
1. Heat a pan with a drizzle of oil (avovado, hemp or coconut) and add some crushed garlic and finely chopped fresh chili. Allow them to infuse the oil slightly before popping in your prawns.
2. As you prawns sizzle and turn that gorgeous shade of flamingo, dice your mango and tomatoes ready, making sure you stir your prawns occasionally.
3. Once your prawns are pink all the way through remove from the heat, add a squeeze of lime and leave them in the pan whilst you quickly assemble the rest of your salad.
4. As before lay out the leaves, add tomatoes, mango and avocado.
5. Lay your warm prawns across the top and sprinkle with cilantro.
Lay back and enjoy the flavours of the sea and the bursting freshness of the mango – it’s a true summer explosion!